Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Solution

Monologue

Well, Sugar. Let me open by informing you that no matter what misfortune has befallen you, you're better off remembering just what it is that happened to bring you to this sad, sullen state.

I've had fellows and ladies alike stroll in here hoping that I can make the world right for them again. Blottin' out memories here and there and the like, you know how it goes or you wouldn't be here. Now, I assure you that I can do that job that you're asking me to do just as easy as I can sweeten your tea-- one lump or two? There you go, Sugar-- but it might not be the all-encompassing solution you're hopin' for.

Now let's say that what you want me to get rid of is the memory of a fine dame that broke your little heart. Pardon me for going with the cliches, but you have to understand, it's a common request. Now, I get rid of every memory you have of this little tart and what are you left with? Huge gaps that you can't account for and an ache in your heart that you can't find the source of. You strain your brain but, I assure you, when I get paid to do a job, it gets done right. So, either you end up living your life day in and day out dwelling on the elusive source of your missing memories or you end up back here, paying me to get them back. Seems like an awful waste of both our times, doesn't it?

I can see you're not convinced. You came all this way and tracked me down and got the meeting and you're not leaving until you've got just what you've come for. Allow me to mix something up for you, then.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting--I'd like to know more about the character behind this monologue. I like your use of diction and tone in particular, and once again you show a mastery of writing smaller-scale things that are nevertheless entertaining and thought-provoking. The voice I get from this is decidedly female, but some of that might come from an association I have with your particular use of the word "sugar." It almost always makes me think of Xiang, haha. The rest of the accent used, though, doesn't, so I'm left with a vaguely feminine sense of character. Who is "she"? Why does she edit people's minds, I presume, for a living?

    ReplyDelete